Many people have heard the myth that patients who suffer from astigmatism are not candidates for laser eye surgery. The fact is, laser eye surgery has been used as astigmatism treatment for years and can be extremely effective. At Clarity Laser Vision, we use laser eye surgery to correct astigmatisms and other optical related issues.
What is Astigmatism?
An astigmatism is an extremely common vision issue that is caused by an irregular curvature of the cornea. This allows light to enter the eye via multiple points, sending conflicting signals to the brain which results in visual symptoms.
At Clarity Laser Vision we offer multiple astigmatism treatment options depending on your specific situation and preference, these include:
- Touchless Surface Ablation (TSA) – TSA removes the outer layer of the cornea and reshapes the cornea using an excimer laser.
- LASIK/SBK – LASIK/SBK reshapes the cornea using ultraviolet lasers. A thin flap will be made in your cornea, pulled back and an excimer laser will be used to reshape the cornea. The flap will be placed back to heal itself.
- Toric Intraocular Lens – Intraocular surgery inserts a lens implant into the eye. The lens can be inserted over the natural eye lens or the lens implant can completely replace the natural lens.
Symptoms of Astigmatism
Astigmatism symptoms can vary from person to person, some patients won’t experience any symptoms at all. Some of the common symptoms of astigmatism can include:
- Fuzzy/Distorted/Blurry Vision
- Eye Irritation/Discomfort
- Poor Night Vision
If you notice any of these symptoms or think you or a loved one may suffer from astigmatism, feel free to contact Clarity Laser Vision. We’d be happy to discuss astigmatism, laser eye surgery or any other questions you may have.